Belfry of MenenPrint
The belfry of Menen has had a turbulent history which the building still bears witness to. In 1999 it was listed as a UNESCO world heritage Site.
The belfry's first stone was laid in 1574, but the religious wars forced the city to halt the construction works only two years later. The works were resumed in 1610. Built out of natural stone, the base was topped with a brick superstructure, which was crowned with a wooden spire featuring a domed roof and a lantern. The spire was shot off by French troops twice, once in 1706 and once in 1794. A storey was added with each repair, which explains why the building now has four storeys.