Belfry of KortrijkPrint
The belfry of Kortrijk, in the middle the Grote Markt square, was originally one of the towers of the former cloth hall. The cloth hall was first mentioned in 1248 and was torn down at the end of the 19th century.
The belfry itself is a stately, square-shaped tower whose base lies slightly below the level of the market square because this was raised over the course of the centuries. The belfry's current look was mainly established in 1520.
The spire is crowned by a gilded statue of Mercury, the Roman god of trade, dating from 1712, and the front is adorned with Manten and Kalle, two figures that strike the hour. They date back to the Middle Ages, but the current figures have only been there since 1961.
The tower has been listed as a monument since 1937 and was designated as a Unesco World Heritage Site in 1999.