The Belfry is the proudest symbol of the city’s independence. The Belfry is the middle of the famous three-tower row, together with the Saint Bavo’s Cathedral and the Saint Nicholas’ Church. The construction started in 1313. The Belfry had different functions: keeping of the municipal privileges, watch tower and carillon and chime bells. In 1999, Unesco classified the belfry of Ghent. Belfries symbolize the human urge for freedom and democracy and play an exceptional role in the fields of architecture, urban planning and musical history.